Image Map

Aug 26, 2010

Book Review: Dead is the New Black by Marlene Perez

4 Yummy Cookies!

Cover Love:
I like it fine. I like the bright color and bold font, but it is nothing overly special.

Why I Wanted to Read This Book: I love the idea of a cozy mystery series for MG/YA readers. This one sounded like it was really fun and the length made it look like a quick read. Read the summary from Good Reads:

Welcome to Nightshade, California; a small town full of secrets. It's home to the pyschic Giordano sisters, who have a way of getting mixed up in mysteries. During their investigations, they run across everything from pom-pom-shaking vampires to shape-shifting boyfriends to a clue-spewing jukebox. With their psychic powers and some sisterly support, they can crack any case.

Teenage girls are being mysteriously attacked all over town, including at Nightshade High School, where Daisy Giordano is a junior. When Daisy discovers that a vampire may be the culprit, she can't help but suspect head cheerleader Samantha Devereaux, who returned from summer break with a new look; Samantha appears a little . . . well, dead, and all the most popular kids at school are copying her style.

Is looking dead just another fashion trend for Samantha, or is there something more sinister going on?


I Kept Reading Because: It was a fun story, well written and easy to read. Interesting characters and a fun little mystery to solve kept my interest all the way through.

Romance?: Yes! And it is an adorable one, with Daisy realizing she was in love with her one of her best long term friends. And him realizing he was in love with her also!

What I Loved: There is a lot so I am going to bullet point-
*I liked how the super/para normal factor is a part of this world--accepted by most, but not really out in the open or talked about.
*I loved the "underground" city council scene.
*It was quick--the plot moved along, questions came up and they also were answered relatively quick. It didn't leave you waiting too long.
*The relationship between Daisy and her sisters. It seemed very realistic. They were close, but fought, as sister sometimes do. And even though Poppy was kind of bitchy when Daisy needed her help she was the first one there. I just liked the dynamics between them really well.

What I Would Like To See: I know that there are two more books in this series with one more being published this month. I just want to see more of the same and Daisy develop her powers more. I want to have the one lingering question about Ryan answered, but I do want Daisy and Ryan to stay together.

To Sum Up: This was a great diversion from a "heavier" book I was reading. This is a fun cozy series that I can't wait to continue reading!

Book checked out from the library.

(I am trying out this new review from inspired by Wicked Walker. I like it!)

1 comment:

  1. I want to read this one, too. After your review, I want to read it even more. :-)

    ReplyDelete