Image Map

Jul 31, 2010

Book Review: Hearts at Stake by Alxyandra Hart

Age: 12+
Cover Love: I like the cover, but it is not what drew me to the book. The model is pretty and I like the half face thing. LOVE the title font though.

I really enjoyed Hearts at Stake. I give it four cookies. It was light and fluffy. I liked the new vampire mythology that the author added (born vampires turning when they hit 16). I liked the two sweet little romances and it made me want to read the next book in the series (which I cannot get until October due to my own new "no acquring new books challenge").

This is the story of Solange (which was my French name when I took French in high school), a vampire princess born to the powerful and ancient Drake line of vampires. She is the first girl vampire to be born in centuries--she also has a bunch of very protective older brothers. (I like how the author gave her so many older brothers because that just leaves the story open for so many sequels--it also reminds me of when I was in college and used to read romance novels by the likes of Linda Lael Miller & Judith McNaught--they always made up a family of brothers or sisters so they could write a bunch of books about one family). There is also a prophecy that says Solange will become the new vampire queen which makes her a target for the current vampire queen and her followers. Solange's best friend is a human named Lucy who has a cute love/hate thing going on with Solange's older brother Nicholas.

There is some kidnapping and a romance with a vampire hunter who misunderstands vampires for Solange, and lots of fighting. All in all it made for a quick, fun read that introduces an interesting new vampire series!

1 comment: