Image Map

Feb 10, 2017

My Thoughts: To Catch a Killer by Sheryl Scarborough

4 chocolate chocolate chip cookies.

Cover Love:  Meh.  Pretty normal looking for a mystery book.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
I discovered this instagram account that makes me want to sit and drink coffee and read books all day.  She reads thrillers and I started really wanting to read a a good thriller.  This one came to my attention from an email I got from the publicist.  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:

Erin Blake has one of those names. A name that, like Natalee Holloway or Elizabeth Smart, is inextricably linked to a grisly crime. As a toddler, Erin survived for three days alongside the corpse of her murdered mother, and the case—which remains unsolved—fascinated a nation. Her father's identity unknown, Erin was taken in by her mother's best friend and has become a relatively normal teen in spite of the looming questions about her past.

Fourteen years later, Erin is once again at the center of a brutal homicide when she finds the body of her biology teacher. When questioned by the police, Erin tells almost the whole truth, but never voices her suspicions that her mother's killer has struck again in order to protect the casework she's secretly doing on her own.

Inspired by her uncle, an FBI agent, Erin has ramped up her forensic hobby into a full-blown cold-case investigation. This new murder makes her certain she's close to the truth, but when all the evidence starts to point the authorities straight to Erin, she turns to her longtime crush (and fellow suspect) Journey Michaels to help her crack the case before it's too late.
Romance?: Yes.

My Thoughts:
This is a great, suspenseful mystery.  In the middle I really wanted to read the end to find out who the killer was.  There were so many suspects surrounding Erin!  I sat there one night after I stopped reading and just went through who I thought did it.  One of the good things about reading a digital book is that it's not very easy to skip to the end.  (I was RIGHT!!)

There were a lot of suspects and a few red herrings.  I liked the romance between Erin and Journey, a lot.  They have chemistry!  What bothered me so much as it does in a lot of these books, is how nobody, including her friends, took Erin that seriously.  She wasn't a drama queen, she didn't have a history of that.  And she'd just found the body of her teacher.  I just think people should have given her a little more credit.

And her guardian was AWFUL.  I mean, she took Erin in and made her her own, but the way she would shut Erin down at every turn when she wanted to know about her mom was unhealthy, for both of them.  That is the one part of the book that made me uncomfortable to read.  

The mystery wrapped up pretty neatly, with both Journey and Erin in peril at points during the book.  This has all great elements for a suspenseful read. 

To Sum Up:  Great mystery, action and danger.  I will be buying this for my library and I hope the author writes another one with Erin, Journey and her Uncle Victor (along with all the secondary characters).  This is a fun read!

No comments:

Post a Comment